The US Supreme Court Says No to Trump’s Global Tariffs

The US Supreme Court Says No to Trump’s Global Tariffs

On Friday, the US Supreme Court said that Donald Trump’s broad global tariffs were illegal. This was a shocking blow to the president’s main economic strategy, which had a big effect on commerce around the world.

The high court, which has a conservative majority, found six to three that the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), which Trump has used, “does not authorise the President to impose tariffs.”

The verdict doesn’t change the levies that Trump put on steel, aluminium, and other commodities from certain sectors. There are still a few government investigations going on that could lead to further levies on certain sectors.

This is still Trump’s largest loss at the Supreme Court since he returned to the presidency last year. Trump has traditionally used tariffs as a way to put pressure on other countries and negotiate, but in his second term, he used emergency economic powers in a way that had never been done before to put new levies on almost all US trading partners.

These included “reciprocal” tariffs on trade practices that Washington thought were unjust, as well as separate sets of charges on Mexico, Canada, and China for drug trafficking and immigration.

Also Read:

Trusted Name in Finance and Investment Consulting: Sasa Pejic as the CEO of Pannon GroupNS

Steven Looije: Offering Real Estate Expertise for Smart Investments With HUIS Real Estate

editor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *